Word family: Justification, just, justify, justice.
Synonyms: Made accepted, deemed righteous, counted worthy
Related ideas: Sufficiency, uprightness, faith and obedience, sacrifice, mercy, judgment
Greek References: dikaiosis 1347 cf 1342-1349 (Strong)
Definitions: Justification is being made right and deemed righteous, because sins have been forgiven and blotted out.
Justifiied by grace
- Titus 3:7"...being justified by his grace, we might be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life".
- Rom 3:23-28"Justified as a gift by his grace" through the Redeemer's sacrifice.
Justified by Christ’s death
- Romans 5:9,18 "Justified by his blood...by one righteous act [his death] all men were justified to life".
- 1Corinthians 1:30 "Jesus... was made to us wisdom from God, and justification and sanctification, and redemption".
Justified by faith and obedience
- Romans 1:16-17 "The just shall live by faith" through the power of the gospel.
- James 2:14-26 "...justified by works, and not by faith alone"
- 1John 3:7 "He who does righteousness is just, even as [Christ] is righteous"
Comment: We cannot have sufficient righteousness to be justified by our own works without faith in Jesus Christ. Neither can we be justified by faith alone without works.