Word family: Evangelist, evangelism, evangelistic, evangel
Synonyms: Gospel preacher, gospeller
Related ideas: doctrine/teaching, mission, ministry, great commission, word of God.
Definitions: An evangelist is one whose vocation is to preach the gospel or "good message" of Jesus Christ.
Greek References: euangelistees (evangelist) 2099 (Strong), euangelizo (preaching the gospel) 2097, cf 2095-2099. The word for "gospel" is , in which eu=good, and angelion=message. Compare angelia (message) 31. Also compare angelos (angel) 32.
The gospel or "evangel" (euangellion)
Preaching the gospel or "evangelism" (euangelizo)
- 1John 3:11 "This is the message (angelia) which you heard from the beginning..."
- Romans 1:16 "I am not ashamed of the gospel for it is the power of God for salvation..."
- Mark 16:15-16 "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation..."
- 1Corinthians 9:14 "The Lord directed those who proclaim the gospel to get their living from the gospel."
The gospel preacher or "Evangelist" (euangelistees)
- Galatians 1:8-9 "If any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to that which [we preached to you and] you received, let him be accursed."
- Revelation 14:6 "...an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on earth, and to every nation and tribe and tongue and people."
- Acts 21:8 "Philip the evangelist"
- Ephesians 4:11-13 "...he gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers..."
- 2Timothy 4:5 "Do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."
Comment: All who preach the gospel as a vocation are "evangelists" because the word simply means "gospeller" or "goodmessenger".