Currently there are several alternatives to the domain name simplybible.com including the following: simplybible.com.au, simplybible.org, simplybible.org.au, simplybible.net, plus the www. domains of all those. The “canonical” or official domain has been www.simplybible.com.au but we are changing that to www.simplybible.com (without the .au) for three main reasons…
- Firstly, the site has become very well known as “simplybible.com”
- Secondly, the .au version has become problematic
- Thirdly the website is for international outreach not just Australian
HOW THIS CHANGE AFFECTS YOU…
The change probably doesn’t affect you. You can keep using the site as before. The only thing that might happen in future is that a bookmark you have linked to the site could become inactive in which case you can get the site up by entering “simplybible.com” into the browser address bar or into Google, or Yahoo etc.
IF YOU LINK TO SIMPLYBIBLE…
If you have a blog or website and you wish to link to simplybible.com, please remove the .au from the link. For example, “http://www.simplybible.com/dhome.htm” noting there is no .au in that URL. If you wish to link to a page, copy and paste the link in the yellow strip at the bottom of the page, rather than what’s in the browser’s address bar. Not including the .au will future proof your link against possibly becoming broken later on.
Over the next several weeks, search results in Google (and other search engines) will increasingly show a link to www.simplybible.com (dropping the .au) but while that “migration” is taking place the site will function as normal, aside from the above considerations.
As a rock does not
shift in the torrent
Nor will truth in a
river of lies.
As the sun shall come
back in the morning
So will truth again
light up the skies.
As the song of a
bird in the treetop
While the wind whispers
moanings and sighs
So is truth in the
ears of the honest
And the music of
truth never dies.
Hear the truth as a
gift sent from heaven.
Live the truth, love the
truth and be wise.
Play the truth as a
tune on your heartstrings,
For the music of
truth never dies.
From January to March 2015, simplybible.com underwent another major upgrade.
- Achieved 100% mobile usability. (More than half our visitors are on mobile smart phones or small tablets).
- Reduced the number of external scripts that run before the page displays. Makes pages load more quickly for the user, and management of the scripts is much easier for me the webservant.
- Reduced the number of image requests for the page by converting images to “sprites” generated from a single image. Makes pages load quicker.
- Repaired and revised the system of annotations which was failing to operate correctly and was disjointed. It is now a nice simple design, robust and easy to implement.
The simplybible.com website began online 19 December 2002. It started with 80 pages. Now, in 2014, it has twenty times as many — 1,600 pages, of which 1,200 are Bible studies. A lot of work has gone into the site over the 12 years, both in adding new pages and in keeping up with the changes. Big changes have taken place behind the scenes in the coding of webpages and style sheets. We have ensured that simplybible.com has been continually revised and upgraded to accommodate these changes. The more visible changes are in the devices that display webpages, which now range from big wide desktop computer and television screens down to tiny smart phones. Today, around 70% of people visiting simplybible.com do so on tablets and mobile phones, devices which hardly existed in 2002.
Here’s a snapshot of how simplybible.com looked around 10 years ago.
Snapshot of Home Page June 2004
We have completed a major upgrade of the website (more than 1500 pages). The upgrade was progressive from January to September 2014. It was done behind the scenes with no inconvenience to users. They would not have been aware of the work in progress. Some of the changes made are:
- Heading (including a subheading) appears in the same place on each page.
- The social media bar was redesigned and placed under the main nav tabs.
- Semantic structure (outline) of the pages has been improved.
- New feature blocks help to highlight important parts of the page.
- Indexes and lesson lists have been redesigned and made easier to use.
- Some older series of lessons were reworked and improved.
- We made a new pagination system for some groups of articles.
- The site’s ability to respond to various screen sizes was improved.
- The square theme images at top right of page were improved.
- The site coding upgraded from XHTML strict to the now standard html5.
Hope you enjoy these improvements.
One of the Christian doctrines that raises eyebrows, is “Put Yourself Last”. Yet this is a secret of true happiness. Put Jesus first, Others second, Yourself last. For the Bible lesson, go to…
I was waiting at the counter of Hungry Jacks until my turn came. There was a gentleman standing beside me on my right, who was there before me. The girl serving raised her hand and called “next please”. The gentleman looked at me and said, “You go”. I said, “But it’s your turn”. He smiled and said, “Yes, but you go first, then I’ll go.
A week later, I was at the same Hungry Jacks, waiting my turn again. A man came and stood beside me on my left. I was there well before him. When he saw the girl coming to the counter he stepped up to it as though he were the only one waiting. He wasn’t going to let me go first, even though he knew full well it was my turn.
How different were these two men! One put others before himself. The other put himself first. I don’t know these men, but I can easily guess which is the happier, even though they showed their colours in a mundane circumstance.
TWO NUMBERS – IF ONLY THEY KNEW THEM
Nobody knows where MH370 went down after it disappeared. But thousands of people in this world claim to have “the gift of prophecy” or “the gift of knowledge” or some such miraculous power. All that is needed are two numbers: the latitude and longitude of the plane’s position to the second of a degree. That is certainly not hard for the Holy Spirit. If people in churches all over the world were to “prophesy” these two numbers, what a wonderful miracle that would be to the glory of Jesus. But the time of miracles is past, alas, and that’s why these two numbers are still unknown.
If the pentecostals cannot help, what about the psychics? Why can’t they divine these two numbers? A few psychics have spoken about MH370, but I’ve heard nothing helpful, certainly not the exact latitude and longitude, the two numbers that are needed.
The disappearance of MH370 has puzzled and upset us all, and it doesn’t encourage us that the prophets and the psychics aren’t there when the world needs them.
John 3:16 is among the best known and most loved verses in the Bible. However some go so far as to say it is the whole gospel in one verse, and everything essential to salvation is in that verse.
It is true to say that everything in John 3:16 is essential to salvation. However it’s not true to say that everything essential to salvation is in John 3:16.
- Repentance from sin is not mentioned, but it is essential to salvation (Acts 2:38, 3:19).
- Confession of Christ is not mentioned, but it is essential to salvation (Romans 10:9-10).
- The sinner’s prayer* is not mentioned, but it is essential to salvation (Acts 8:22).
- Keeping God’s commandments is not mentioned, but that is essential to salvation (1John 2:1-6, 5:3).
In John 3:16 we see the love and grace of God, the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross, and the need for faith on the part of the one seeking eternal life. We might regard these as the first essentials. But they are not all; neither are the other things mentioned above.
If we wish to know all that is essential to salvation, we need to examine all scripture inspired by God, not one single verse (2Timothy 3:14-17).
*In this case the prayer of a straying Christian.
Acknowledgement: The above article is an excerpt from simplybible magazine