Author: Ron Graham
Three Things God’s Servant Does
—1st Peter 4:11
This lesson is one of my oldest sermons , yet its message is still very true and relevant. If you serve the Lord, I hope this lesson will help your ministry to be true and fruitful.
"If any man speaks, let him speak as it were the oracles of God. Whoever serves, let him serve as from the strength which God supplies, so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever. Amen." (1Peter 4:11).
1 God’s Servant Speaks as God Speaks.
"...speak as it were the oracles of God..." (1Peter 4:11a).
A. Speak as the scriptures speak.
- "Moses received living oracles to pass on" (Acts 7:38).
- "Jews were entrusted with the oracles of God" (Romans 3:1-2).
- "Words taught by the Holy Spirit" (1Corinthians 2:13).
- "Learn not to go beyond what is written" (1Corinthians 4:6).
- "First principles of the oracles of God" (Hebrews 5:12).
B. Speak as God’s representative.
- "Every idle word" shall be judged (Matthew 12:36).
- "Let no unwholesome word come out of your mouth" (Ephesians 4:29)
- "Let your speech always be with grace" (Colossians 4:6)
- "No guile was found in his mouth" (1Peter 2:22).
- "Let not many of you become teachers..." because a teacher should "not stumble in what he says" (James 3:1-2).
2 God’s Servant Gains Strength from God.
"...serve as from the strength which God supplies..." (1Peter 4:11b).
A. God's strength perfects our weakness.
- Paul's thorn. "...power is perfected in weakness" (2Corinthians 12:9)
- "Christ was crucified in weakness, yet he lives by the power of God" (2Corinthians 13:4).
- "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Philippians 4:13).
B. God needs us though we are weak.
- "The members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary" (1Corinthians 12:22).
- This Moses failed to understand (Exodus 4:10-13).
3 God’s Servant Gives Glory to God.
"...that God in all things God might be glorified..." (1Peter 4:11c).
A. Make your whole life religious.
- "Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" (1Corinthians 10:31)
- In the life of God's servant, the distinction between religious and secular is blurred.
B. Set the whole world an example.
- "...as they observe your good deeds they may glorify God..." (1Peter 2:12)
- In the life of God's servant, the influence of good can change evildoers into people who praise God.
- The servant's motto: "To the only wise God be glory" (Jude 1:24-25).