Author: Ron Graham
Bible Maxims (7)
—A selection from Mark 1-10
Here, for your edificationa, is a selection of some maxims spoken by Jesus. They are in the order that Mark records them in chapters 1-10. A maxim is a brief pithy expression of some general principle or rule of conduct.
Bible Maxims — List 7
- "The time is fulfilled and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel" (Mark 1:15 NKJV).
- "Follow me and I will make you become fishers of men" (Mark 1:17 NKJV).
- "Those who are well have no need of a doctor, but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance" (Mark 1:17 NKJV).
- "The Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath. Therefore 'the Son of Man' is also 'Lord of the Sabbath'" (Mark 2:27 NKJV).
- "How can Satan cast out Satan? If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end." (Mark 3:23-26 NKJV).
- "¶ No one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his possessions, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house." (Mark 3:27).
- "¶ Truly, truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever they say in blasphemies. But he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is under eternal condemnation" (Mark 3:28-29).
- "Here are My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of God is My brother and My sister and mother." (Mark 3:34-35 NKJV).
- "there is nothing hidden which will not be revealed, nor has anything been kept secret but that it should come to light." (Mark 4:22 NKJV).
- "Take heed what you hear. With the same measure you use, it will be measured to you; and to you who hear, more will be given. 25For whoever has, to him more will be given; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him." (Mary 4:24-25 NKJV).
- "A prophet is not without honor except in his own country, among his own relatives, and in his own house." (Mark 6:4 NKJV).
- ¶ "And whoever will not receive you nor hear you... truly, truly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!" (Mark 6:11).
- "This people honors Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men" (Mark 7:6-7; NKJV; Isaiah 29:13 ).
- "Nothing that enters a man from the outside can defile him; but the things that come out of a man, these are what defile him" (Mark 7:14 NKJV).
- "First let the children have their fill for it is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs" (Mark 7:27 NKJV).
- "Why does this generation seek a sign? Assuredly, I say to you, no sign shall be given to this generation" (Mark 8:12 NKJV).
- "Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod" (Mark 8:15 NKJV).
- "Get behind Me, Satan! For you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men" (Mark 8:33 NKJV).
- "Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me" (Mark 8:34 NKJV).
- "For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it. " (Mark 8:35 NKJV).
- "For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?" (Mark 8:36-37 NKJV).
- "For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels" (Mark 8:38 NKJV).
- "Assuredly, I say to you that there are some standing here who will not taste death till they see the kingdom of God present with power" (Mark 9:1 NKJV).
- "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes" (Mark 9:23 NKJV).
- "The Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of men, and they will kill Him. And after He is killed, He will rise the third day" (Mark 9:31 NKJV).
- "If anyone desires to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all" (Mark 9:35 NKJV).
- "Whoever receives one of these little children in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me, receives not Me but Him who sent Me" (Mark 9:37 NKJV).
- "Do not forbid him, for no one who works a miracle in My name can soon afterward speak evil of Me. For he who is not against us is on our side" (Mark 9:39-40 NKJV).
- "For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink in My name, because you belong to Christ, assuredly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward" (Mark 9:41 NKJV).
- "But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me [i]to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea" (Mark 9:42 NKJV).
- "If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched..." (Mark 9:43 NKJV).
- "And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame, rather than having two feet, to be cast into hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched..." (Mark 9:45 NKJV).
- "And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire..." (Mark 9:47 NKJV).
- "For everyone will be seasoned with fire, and every sacrifice will be seasoned with salt. Salt is good, but if the salt loses its flavor, how will you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace with one another" (Mark 9:49-50 NKJV).
- "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’; so then they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate" (Mark 10:7-9 NKJV).
- "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her. And if a woman divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery" (Mark 10:11-12 NKJV).
- "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it." (Mark 10:14-15 NKJV).
- "Children, how hard it is [b]for those who trust in riches to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" (Mark 10:23-25 NKJV).
- "Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or [d]lands, for My sake and the gospel's, who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time —houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions —and in the age to come, eternal life" (Mark 10:29-30 NKJV).
- "Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and to the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death and deliver Him to the Gentiles; and they will mock Him, and scourge Him, and spit on Him, and kill Him. And the third day He will rise again" (Mark 10:33-34 NKJV).
- "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45 NKJV).
Copyright on print