Author: Ron Graham
Bible Maxims (8)
—A selection from Mark 11-16
Here's another list of some Bible maxims spoken by Jesus. Just a neat simple selection, for your edification, as recorded by Mark in chapters 11-16. A maxim is a brief pithy expression of some general principle or rule of conduct.
Bible Maxims — List 8
- "Is it not written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations'? But you have made it a 'den of thieves.'" (Mark 11:17 NKJV).
- "Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them" (Mark 11:24 NKJV).
- "And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses." (Mark 11:25-26 NKJV).
- "The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief cornerstone. This was the Lord’s doing, And it is marvelous in our eyes" (Mark 12:10-11; Psalm 118:22 NKJV).
- "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s" (Mark 12:17 NKJV).
- "For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven" (Mark 12:25 NKJV).
- "God is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living" (Mark 12:27).
- ¶ "The first of all the commandments is: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength'. This is the first commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbour as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these" (Mark 12:29-31; Deuteronomy 6:4-5).
- "Beware of the scribes, who desire to go around in long robes, love greetings in the marketplaces, the best seats in the synagogues, and the best places at feasts, who devour widows' houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. These will receive greater condemnation" (Mark 12:38-40 NKJV).
- "Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood" (Mark 12:43-44 NKJV).
- "Do you see these great buildings? Not one stone shall be left upon another, that shall not be thrown down" (Mark 13:2 NKJV).
- "Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am He', and will deceive many" (Mark 13:5-6 NKJV).
- "But when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be troubled; for such things must happen, but the end is not yet" (Mark 13:7 NKJV).
- "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be earthquakes in various places, and there will be famines and troubles. These are the beginnings of sorrows" (Mark 13:8 NKJV).
- "Then they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. And then He will send His angels, and gather together His elect from the four winds, from the farthest part of earth to the farthest part of heaven" (Mark 13:26-27NKJV).
- "Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place" (Mark 13:30 NKJV cf vv5-8).
- "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away" (Mark 13:31 NKJV).
- "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is" (Mark 13:32-33 NKJV).
- "Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her" (Mark 14:9 NKJV cf vv3-8).
- "The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had never been born" (Mark 14:21 NKJV).
- "This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many. Assuredly, I say to you, I will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God" (Mark 14:24-25 NKJV).
- "Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak" (Mark 14:38 NKJV).
- "I am [the Christ, the Son of the Blessed]. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven" (Mark 14:61-62 NKJV).
- "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned" (Mark 16:15-16 NKJV).
- "And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover." (Mark 16:17-18 NKJV).