Author: Ron Graham
The All Sufficient Christ
—Six claims about Jesus in Colossians
In Paul's letter to the Colossians, certain things are said about the all sufficiency of Jesus Christ. These statements tie in well with John's first chapter.
1 All Things Were Created in Christ
All things were created by Jesus and for Jesus (see also John 1:1-3). He is before all things and in him all things consist. Some think of Christ as the greatest created being. But He is greater by far than that.
"For by him all things were created, in the heavens and on the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things have been created through him, and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things are held together" (Col. 1:16,17).
2 All the Fulness of the Divinity Dwells in Him
He is the image, of the invisible God (Colossians 1:15). He is this not by halves, but in "all the fulness" . Some think of Christ as a hybrid being, half man, half God. But He was "the fulness of God in bodily form" . Jesus was as human as any man. He was as divine as God his Father.
"For all the fullness was pleased to dwell in him...For in him all the fullness of the Divinity dwells bodily, and in him you are made full..." (Colossians 1:19, 2:9).
3 Every Human Being Can Be Made Complete in Christ
Paul proclaimed Christ to "every man", and his goal was to present every man complete in Christ. The work of Christ is applicable to every man. The work of Christ is not limited and his gospel, "the hope of glory", is for every man. That is why the gospel was preached "in all the world... to every creature under heaven" (Colossians 1:6,23).
"Christ in you, the hope of glory, whom we proclaim, admonishing every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus..." (Colossians 1:27-28).
4 All the Treasures of Wisdom and Knowledge are Hidden in Christ
"All wisdom and understanding" (Colossians 1:9) and "full assurance of understanding in true knowledge" (Colossians 2:2-3) are available in the gospel of Christ. Christ's word lacks nothing (cf 2Peter 1:3,4).
"We don’t cease praying and making requests for you, that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding...gaining all riches of the full assurance of understanding, a true knowledge of the mystery of God, both of the Father and of Christ, in whom all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden" (Colossians 1:9, 2:2-3).
5 All Things Are Under the Authority of Christ
- He is the head of all power and authority (Colossians 2:10).
- He is the first born over all creation (Colossians 1:15,18, 1Corinthians 15:20).
- He is the head of the church (Colossians 1:18).
- He has the highest place (preeminence) in all things (Colossians 1:18).
- He is seated at the right hand of God (Colossians 3:1).
6 All Our Sins Are Forgiven Through Christ
Paul makes the following promises...
- In Him we have redemption through His blood. the forgiveness of sins (Colossians 1:14).
- He has made you alive together with Christ, having. forgiven you all trespasses (Colossians 2:13).
- Our sins alienated us from God but we are reconciled through Christ (Colossians 1:20-23).
- We have our sins forgiven when we are buried with Christ (Colossians 2:12-13, cf Romans 6).
- We have our sins forgiven as long as we continue in the faith and be not moved away (Colossians 1:23, cf Ephesians1:13-14).